Sarah Skovran, RDN LD, is a mom with a strong science background. Her experience as the parent of an allergic child turned athletic teen plus her love for solving problems led her to return to school, earn a degree in nutrition, and become a registered dietitian nutritionist.
There is a lot of nutrition and health information on the internet. What makes this website a reliable one with information you can trust?
All content is created by Sarah Skovran, RDN LD ACE-PT, unless otherwise indicated. Sarah has a BS degree in human nutrition, has completed 1,200 hours of supervised practice through an accredited dietetic internship program, and passed a national exam to obtain her dietitian credential. Maintaining this credential requires 75 hours of continuing education every 5 years. She also holds a Masters degree in education.
Additionally, Sarah is a certified personal trainer through the American Council on Exericse, which requires passing a national exam as well as completing continuing education and maintaining a CPR certification.
All articles are written based on Sarah’s years of experience as a dietitian and fitness professional combined with current literature and research. Content includes references to peer-reviewed research articles, academic text books, or websites you can trust (from government or academic institutions). Plant Powered Teens is about science and not popularity, click-bait, or trends.
When a guest author posts on this website, all content is edited and fact checked by Sarah prior to publication. Guest authors use the same process of research and referencing. All content is reviewed at least annually and updated as needed based on changes in science.
- Bachelor of Science, Human Nutrition and Dietetics, University of Maine
- Master of Arts in Teaching, Elementary Education, Willamette University
- Bachelor of Science, Engineering and Applied Science, California Institute of Technology
Certifications and Licenses
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Commission on Dietetic Registration
- Licensed Dietitian, State of Maine
- Certified Personal Trainer, American Council on Exercise
- Certified Group Fitness Instructor, American Council on Exercise